View My Stats

Thursday 10 June 2010

National Gallery of Victoria

Since Melbourne winter isn't really inviting for outdoor activities, the restaurants and museums are abuzz.

For the previous 8 years NGV has been hosted some wonderful collections as part of their "Winter Masterpieces".  This month over 100 pieces will arrive from Frankfurt for "European Masters: Städel Museum 19th – 20th Centuries" to spend the Melbourne winter here.



I loved the Masterpieces from Paris that were on display in Canberra over summer and I was very jealous that they didn't make their way down here to Melbourne so I could have seen the exhibit more than once.

I have a NGV membership - $50 per annum gets me in express avoiding the queues, and entry into the members lounge where I love to go on the weekends in winter to enjoy the view over Melbourne whilst studying or reading... I hope I continue to love art as much as I have over the past few years.




6 comments:

  1. Wish I lived by you...only without winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, definitely want to see this and thanks for the information about membership - am going to join very soon... Have you ever been on one of the tours by a museum guide? - they are free and so interesting - they know heaps about all of the paintings and are VOLUNTEERS too - a fab. service. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. this free bird - next time I'm in Cali, you'll be the first to know xx

    Semi Expat - no haven't done the tour!! No idea why! The membership is great, discounts are good for the paid exhibits and the member lounge is great during the busy times just to get away xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love art museums too. I was happy to be able to go to NYC last year for the first time in almost 20 yrs to check out all the fabulous art exhibits...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like the perfect way to spend winter months. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your message helped me through a very rough patch ... thank you so much!

    I wish you didn't have winter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment.